Sunday, March 21, 2010

"Slum Dog Millionaire"

This whole weekend I have been singing along to the song “Jai Ho.” This song is really catchy and upbeat, and I was finally able to see the movie “Slum Dog Millionaire” which features the song “Jai Ho.”
I would like to start off by saying that the storyline behind “Slum Dog Millionaire” is probably one of the cleverest ideas I have ever seen portrayed in a movie. In case you haven’t seen or heard about “Slum Dog Millionaire,” it is about a young man that is just a question away from winning India’s version of “Who Wants to be a Millionaire,” when he is accused of cheating. These accusations against him force the main character to explain how he knew the answers to all the previously asked questions.
As the main character (forgot his name!) shares some of the more influential moments of his life, I saw just how hard life is for those living in third world nations.
I’ve heard the statistics about how many people live in poverty in this country, and how many people go with out food in that country, but to see it portrayed like that in a movie was so much more powerful. I can’t imagine living in any of the conditions portrayed on the movie, and I bet life in third world countries is even worse than what was portrayed on the movie.
While it was a really depressing movie at parts, it was still a really good movie overall. It served as a good reminder of how blessed I am to have all the things I do, and really made me think more about the things I usually take for granted.

Here is a video of a local show choir performing “Jai Ho”



***Video from the following URL:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGGGbG-5DTQ

No comments:

Post a Comment