Sunday, December 13, 2009

Who would have ever thought that one day, man would walk on the moon? Well, history clearly tells us that someone must have, but even with a fully constructed spacecraft, why would Neil Armstrong, as well as other astronauts have been willing to enter into the unknown, with no guarantee of safety? I just don’t understand how someone could be that brave, because I know that I wouldn’t have been able to do anything so terrifying.
The thought of traveling into outer space has never really appealed to me. It’s just too much of a risk, I have always thought, it’s simply not worth it. The thought of spacewalking in a vast space blanketed in an endless darkness makes the job of an astronaut seem lonely and unappealing. And yet, despite the obvious dangers of traveling into outer space, one cannot help but wonder what such a spectacular trip would be like. Don’t get me wrong, I am perfectly content with staying on the planet earth while others leave the atmosphere, but sometimes I can’t help but wonder what it would be like to be among the stars.
Neil Armstrong said of his travel to the moon, “It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.”
I wonder, is that how everyone who has been to outer space feels? Do all space travelers get the same sense of awe and appreciation for the universe? Though I don’t have any ambitions to go to the moon, I think that traveling to outer space could be a truly humbling experience that would really make you appreciate the power of God.

Quote from: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/n/neil_armstrong.html

No comments:

Post a Comment