Sunday, September 13, 2009

         A year or two ago, I had given some thought into choosing a computer-based career.  I’m not a real computer-savvy person by any means, but I just thought that working with computers could be a job that I would like, so for my first research article, I read about computer engineering.

 

         A computer engineer is responsible for determining the technological (in relation with computers) needs of people, and working to satisfy those needs. As a computer software engineer, one would create computer software with modifications to make computers work more efficiently and more effectively for their desired purpose.

 

But for more information, check out this site: http://www.bls.gov/k12/computers04.htm

 

         As I mentioned earlier, I have given some thought to choosing a computer-based career. I like computers, and I think that knowing how to make different software programs could be a very satisfying job. However, I wasn't sure if I would be able to take sitting in front of a harsh computer screen all day. I know that when I use the computer for extended periods of time now, I get this "mindless zombie" feeling that is very unpleasant! So when I was considering this type of job, I wasn’t sure if working in the computer field, or more specifically working as a computer engineer was right for me, and sure enough, this article states: "they are susceptible to eyestrain, back ache, and hand and wrist syndromes." This quote identifies two major problems I think I would have with this job: looking at a computer screen for extended periods of time, and I took the "back ache" from the quote to mean that this job would probably involve A LOT of sitting down!

 

         I also think that this job would require too much attention to detail. As an engineer, finding the smallest of mistakes could be critical to the success of the project as a whole. I think that finding mistakes such as these would require more attention and focus than I would care to give!

 

         After reading this article, and thinking more about the topic, I think that being a computer engineer requires the determination and work ethic that I am just not willing to give on a day-to-day basis.  I still haven’t ruled out every job that is associated with computer work, but I don’t think that I want to be a computer engineer, or have any job that would require a lot of work with computers.

 

~S.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment