Saturday, January 23, 2010

College of the Ozarks

I have a friend who is currently going through the college application process. Her first choice in college is the College of the Ozarks, and she is currently waiting (anxiously I might add) for an acceptance letter. I don’t want to choose a college to apply for just because I know someone that is already planning on attending, but since I really don’t have many other colleges on my mind at the moment, I have decided to take a more detailed look into the College of the Ozarks.
The information I used in writing this post came from the following web address: http://www.cofo.edu/about.asp

The College of the Ozarks is a Christian college that could be viewed as very different from other colleges and universities. Rather than paying for their tuition, students who attend College of the Ozarks full time work for it. This is probably one of the reasons the College of the Ozarks is also called “Hard Work U.”
The idea behind “Hard Work U” is that students will work about fifteen hours a week at an assigned job to help pay for their education. This job not only helps students in need of financial assistance, but also helps develop working skills that may help prepare students for jobs after graduation.
Another positive aspect of the College of the Ozarks is that it is on many different lists proclaiming some of the nation’s top colleges. The student to faculty ratio is 13:1 which is also something I can appreciate about a college, because I really like being in smaller classes.
Although the College of the Ozarks has many positive aspects about it, it also has a couple characteristics that I don’t really care for.
Like so many of the colleges I have considered attending, the College of the Ozarks does not have a tennis team, and while I am not for sure whether or not I want to play college tennis, I don’t want to commit myself to a college that doesn’t have a tennis team, just in case I decide I want to play in college. Another aspect of the college that I’m not sure if I would like is the fact that if I went to the College of the Ozarks, I would have to get a job. As a freshman in college, it would be nice to have extra cash supplied by a part time job, but I also don’t want to have to worry about being too busy my first year of college, and I’m not sure if having a job would be too much for me to take on.
The College of the Ozarks seems like it is a really good college, and I am disappointed that it doesn’t meet all of my standards, because I think it is a really good college, but just doesn’t quite have everything that I am looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment