Sunday, January 17, 2010

Growing Up

The following video is the novelty song Happiness Inc. did in 2004, when my sister played piano for the show choir.



When I watch videos of performances given by Happiness Inc. from years prior to 2010, it’s hard to believe that I am now a part of this performing arts group. Sometimes when I am watching older shows given by Happiness Inc. on “you tube” I can hardly believe that I am in a show choir that performs at the level that it does, and has such a prestigious history.
When my older sister was a freshman in high school she played piano for Happiness Inc. I was in the fourth grade at the time, and going to some of the show choir performances to support my sister, I never dreamed that one day I would be performing on stage for hundreds of people as a member of one of the top show choirs in the nation. It was never really something that interested me. So when I think about how close I was to not trying out for show choir, it’s kind of scary thinking that I almost missed out on something that has brought me so much excitement.
I’m not sure if my sister impacted me anyway to audition for show choir, but the feeling I get when I think about how my sister and I were in the same group (performing different roles) is one I can relate to my everyday life.
I have three brothers and sisters. My oldest brother is twenty-two, but was born with Down syndrome, so mentally he is about seven years old. My older sister is three years older than me, so its my memories of the decisions she had to make while growing up that keep coming to mind when I am faced with making the same decisions she had to make.
I remember my sister working on various high school projects, getting ready for prom, and trying to determine what college to go to. I never fully realized that one day I would be put in her shoes, preparing for some of the same things, and having to make some of the same decisions she had to make. It’s a lot easier to sit by and watch someone else make life-impacting decisions (when you have no say in the matter) than it is to actually be the one making the decisions. That’s what I’m finding out now. Soon, I will have to make all of these major decisions, and I really don’t like having to make decisions that will have a major impact on my life.
I have really been loving my junior year of high school so far. I’ve made some awesome new friends, and have been able to be apart of something that makes me really happy-show choir. When I think about how next year is my senior year of high school, I can’t help but think that I’ve wasted part of my life, or at least let it slip by too quickly. I like the way things are right now, and I don’t want them to end. I can’t stand the thought of moving on, and starting as a freshman in college. I just don’t want to come to terms with reality. I don’t want to grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment